Instant Payments Platform
The Instant Payments System
In the recent years, in relation to a growing demand for connectivity in different areas, innovative retail payment services have become widespread, being mainly characterized by two key factors:
- speed of transfer of funds, from the originator to the beneficiary;
- continuity of service availability.
The competition pressure has determined the development of domestic solutions that limit the use of these new services, and which also stand out for not being interoperable with each other. Harmonization through standardization became the necessary condition to reach the critical mass of end-users.
On this basis, the banking industry has moved to achieve community goals, such as:
- share a pan-European standard to promote the spread of innovative services;
- reduce the circulation of cash, guarantee the traceability of payments, and raise the quality levels of services in terms of costs, security and satisfaction of the end-users’ needs.
The Instant Payments solution is an investment to be included in the payment service modernization strategy. It can be the basis on which to build new services, more convenient, faster and more flexible, and an opportunity to promote innovation.
EPC SEPA Instant Credit Transfer (SCT Inst) scheme
Following the publication of the SCT Inst Rulebook by the European Payments Council in November 2016, the SEPA Instant Credit Transfer (SCT Inst) scheme became operational in November 2017. This is an optional scheme, compliant with the Euro Retail Payments Board (ERPB) guidelines.
The solution is mainly characterized by the followings:
- Immediate availability of the amount to the beneficiary (with the maximum duration of a transaction being 10 seconds);
- Availability of the service 24 x 7 x 365;
- Transactions possible in the 34 European countries of the SEPA area;
- Maximum level of automation, Straight-Through Processing;
- Use of standard ISO20022 XML messages;
- Transactions in euros for a maximum amount of 15,000 euros.
On September 10th 2019, the Scheme Management Board (SMB) – the body responsible for the administration and evolution of the Single Euro Payments Area payment schemes, decided to amend the maximum amount per Instant Credit Transfer (Inst) transaction to 100,000 euros, effective as of 1 July 2020. For the time being, the maximum amount an Originator can transfer via a single Inst transaction is set at 15,000 euros until the beginning of July 2020.
EBA CLEARING RT1 System
EBA CLEARING’s RT1, the infrastructure solution for the processing of instant SEPA credit transfers at a pan-European level, supports Payment Service Providers in transferring euro transactions between payment accounts in less than 10 seconds end to end, with immediate availability of the payment amount to the beneficiary.
It went live on November 2017, it is fully compliant with the SCT Inst Scheme of the European Payments Council, and in line with the ISO 20022 global messaging standards for real-time payments.
ECB TARGET Instant Payment Settlement (TIPS)
TARGET Instant Payments Settlement (TIPS) is a settlement service for pan-European instant payments in euro, with common features between different countries and jurisdictions.
TIPS is based on the SEPA Instant Credit Transfer (SCT Inst) – the EPC scheme for pan-European instant payments, and it was developed as an extension of TARGET2.
This new market infrastructure service was launched by the Eurosystem in November 2018. It enables Payment Service Providers to offer fund transfers to their customers in real-time and around the clock, every day of the year.
CWBI, Frontrunner Service Provider
CWBI, as Official Frontrunner Service Provider of the EBA CLEARING RT1 System, proposes its already certified solution that allows banks to join the innovative service of Instant Payments, based on the SCT Inst standard released in April 2016 by European Payments Council.
CWBI Instant Payments Platform – The platform for real-time payments
Why use the CWBI solution? The added value of the CWBI solution is represented by:
- Time to Market: the platform was developed based on the experience gained over the years by CWBI as a Service Provider of banking systems and services;
- Reduced integration costs: the CWBI platform has been designed to minimize integration costs with the Bank’s systems, by offering different communication protocols to and from the Bank’s platform and services;
- Modular Solution: the CWBI platform is based on a modular structure that allows it to easily adapt to Bank’s needs and future developments in Instant Payments systems;
- Reduced TCO (Total Cost of Ownership): the CWBI solution is based on a Java JEE architecture and open-source software solutions;
- High performance: high performance in messaging;
- Multigateway SIANet and EBICS: the CWBI platform supports all communication channels currently supported by the RT1, SIANet and EBICS systems.
Our solution is compatible with and has obtained the following product certifications:
- SIANet Certification: CWBI is a Certified Service Provider for messaging services in the SIANet network;
- EBICS Certification: CWBI is a Certified Service Provider for messaging services using the EBICS Protocol.
For more information, get in touch with us in the Contacts section.